Arrival at Duke - Check-in and Housing: Six-Week Term
- If you are living on campus, you may move into your room after noon on Sunday, July 2.
- If you arrive prior to July 2, you will need to book a hotel. Many hotels provide a shuttle from the airport. See our hotel recommendations.
- If you are flying into RDU (Raleigh-Durham International Airport) anytime on Saturday, July 1 or Sunday, July 2, our on-site staff will pick you up from the airport if you provide us with your arrival information.
Arrival at Duke - Check-in and Housing: Four-Week Term
- If you are living on campus, you may move into your room after noon on Monday, July 10.
- If you arrive prior to July 10, you will need to book a hotel or you may pay for an additional night of campus housing. See our hotel recommendations.
- If you are flying into RDU (Raleigh-Durham International Airport) on Sunday, July 9 or Monday July 10, our on-site staff will pick you up from the airport if you provide us with your arrival information.
Pay Your Housing Bill:
The Duke Housing office is planning on making official assignments around June 20th and the charges will show up on your bill in late June.
Questions about your bill or how to pay should be directed to the Duke University Bursar’s Office.
Check in with Visa Services:
- After you obtain your F-1 Visa, please visit the Duke Visa Services website to review the online registration presentation. Although you will not be able to complete the entire process before you arrive, you can watch the presentation at home before you get here.
- Once you arrive at Duke, you will need to retrieve your I-94 number from the US Customs website. Go to this website to print out your I-94 form as you can after your arrival.
- You MUST visit the Duke Visa Services Office (Smith Warehouse, Bay 7, first floor) for check-in as soon as possible after you arrive on campus, and no later than the 3rd day of class. You will need to bring the following with you:
- The completed registration forms from Duke Visa Services PowerPoint presentation
- Your passport
- Your I-20
- The downloaded I-94 form
If you have already watched the presentation and have all of your materials in order, your check-in should go quickly. Duke Visa Services will just need to photocopy your documents.
Orientation on July 3 and July 11, 2017:
On Monday, July 3 and Tuesday, July 11 at 8:00 am, we will hold an orientation to Duke. Your Program Assistants will email you shortly with a location near the middle of June. We apologize for the early hour, but many of you will be arriving late the day before and all of you will be in class throughout the rest of the day. 8:00 am, though early, does not conflict with class times. Information about additional workshops and important information about the Durham bus system will also be provided at this time.
We will have some information about Durham and will try to answer any questions you might have. We will have a folder for each of you with Durham and campus maps, class schedules, classroom locations, and other helpful information. We will offer a campus tour, arrange a time for you to get your Duke Card at the Card Office, and offer trips to a store to help you with your shopping needs. Be sure to bring your passport because you will be required to show identification.
Important Contact Information:
Kim Price has been communicating with most of you throughout the spring for I-20 and Visa matters; however, you will have Program Assistants who will be working with you during your stay. The Program Assistants will be in contact with you shortly. We want to let you know whom to contact if you have questions or need to update your travel information or have an emergency.
For academic and visa questions before you leave home, please continue to contact Kim Price: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have travel issues while you are in transit, you will need to contact Eric Elkins at email@example.com or 919-619-2035.
For all other questions, you can contact our Program Assistants at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will receive an email shortly from your Program Assistants with their contact information.