- What is the cost of the Intensive STEM Academy? Are there other fees I should know about?
- How do I apply?
- Who is eligible to apply?
- If I require assistance with the application, whom do I contact?
- Can Summer Academy students use the gym?
- Is financial aid available?
- What do I have to submit with my application?
- When can I expect to hear about my admission status?
- Where will I live?
- Will attending Summer Academy increase my chances of being admitted to Duke University as a regular undergraduate degree candidate?
The program fee is $2,250. The program fee covers expenses associated with the daytime course, dormitory housing, dining, academic supplies, ground transportation to/from the Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), optional linen pack rental, and recreational activities sponsored by the program.
Final payment due date is April 16, 2018.
NOT included in the program fee are airfare, meals purchased off campus, and items purchased for personal use.
We begin accepting applications December 4, 2017. You access our application on our program's homepage. Please review the checklist to ensure you have submitted a complete application with all supporting documentation, as we will not review your application until it is complete. The application fee is $50. Checks, money orders, and credit card payments are accepted as payment for the application fee. A $35 fee will be charged for a check returned due to insufficient funds.
Students currently in the 9, 10, 11, and 12 grades.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can call 919-684-6259 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST.
Yes, Intensive STEM Academy students will have the opportunity to use a gym off campus for an additional fee.
We offer limited financial aid in partnership with various community-based organizations. We do not distribute scholarships directly to students. Students and their families may wish to contact their own local scholarship organizations, non-profits, and community-based organizations to explore financial funding opportunities.
In addition to the application form, whether online or paper, and the $50 application fee, you must submit the following:
- Signed Duke Community Standard.
- Signed Intensive STEM Academy Participant Agreement
- An essay stating why you are uniquely qualified for this program and interested in this program
- A résumé highlighting your academic and non-academic experiences
- High school transcript (an unofficial transcript is acceptable)
- Teacher recommendation form (teacher recommendations must be accompanied by our teacher recommendation form)
- Signed Minors in Duke Laboratories Agreement
Your application will not be reviewed until it is complete, including payment of the application fee. Please use the application checklist to ensure you are submitting a complete application.
Admissions decisions will be made on a “rolling” basis and you will likely receive an admission decision within three (3) weeks of submitting a complete application, though the length of time may increase close to the application deadline.
You will live in a residence hall on Duke University’s West Campus where you will be within easy walking distance of classroom buildings, dining facilities, libraries, the Duke Gardens, and the student union.
Will attending the Intensive STEM Academy increase my chances of being admitted to Duke University as a regular undergraduate degree candidate?
Participating in the Intensive STEM Academy and mentioning that you did so on your college application is likely to be viewed by admissions counselors as one indicator of academic seriousness. However, it is just one indicator among many factors that are assessed in a comprehensive application review and does not guarantee an offer of admission. For additional information regarding Duke University's admissions process, see this page.