Please submit a TOEFL or IELTS score report. While our preference is that students have a TOEFL score of 100, students with a TOEFL of 95 or higher will be eligible to attend Duke Summer Session. We require at least a 7.0 on the IELTS test.
EIS testing option
International students without a qualifying TOEFL (95) or IELTS score (7) are eligible to take an English proficiency exam through Duke University’s English for International Students department. While we do not have a minimum passing score for the EIS exam, we review the test results alongside the rest of the application to assess an applicant’s level of English proficiency.
EIS will report the results of the exam to the student and program within one week. The test will consist of the following:
- A Skype interview (15 minutes)
- Composing an academic essay (45 minutes)
- Answering questions about a reading (30 minutes)
The registration deadline for the exam is April 1, 2019. Please complete the following steps to register for the EIS exam:
- Go to the Test Application page and click on “Apply Now”.
- Create a new user account or login with an existing account.
- Complete the one-page application for Duke Summer Session Language Testing and click on “Submit”.
- Watch for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org within the next few days with instructions for how to pay the $130 fee (due within seven days) by credit card online.
- After you have paid for the test, Christian Gómez, the EIS Program Coordinator, will be in touch with you to arrange for the exam.
Below are our policies for cancellations, rescheduling, and “no-shows”:
Cancellations – If you would like to cancel your registration for the language exam, you may do so by calling (919) 684-6259 or emailing email@example.com. Participants cancelling their exam at least two business days prior to their test date will receive a refund of 50 percent of the testing fee. No refunds will be issued to those who cancel within test business days of the exam or fail to show up for the exam.
Rescheduling – In order to reschedule your exam, you will need to give at least 24 hours’ notice. To do so, please contact Christian Gómez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (919) 613-8029.
No-Shows – If you do not attend your exam within 15 minutes of the scheduled exam start time, you will be considered a ‘no-show’. This includes being unable to start the exam due to lack of preparedness, such as not setting up Skype prior to the exam or contacting the exam proctors in a timely manner. In this event, you will not receive a refund of the registration fee. If you would like to register for the exam after no-showing, you will need to pay the registration fee again.