Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to apply?

If you are currently, or have been, a college student in good standing at an accredited institution of higher learning and desire to enroll in undergraduate courses for academic, professional, or personal enrichment, you are eligible to apply. 

Back to top ⤴

Does it make a difference if I attend Term 1 or Term 2 of Duke Summer Session?

Certain services and opportunities are available to international individuals who enroll in Duke Summer Session Term 2, either for the 4-week session (July 7-July 30) or the 6-week program (June 29-August 9). Students are offered the options of airport pick-up, a formal orientation session, extracurricular programming (workshops on U.S. classroom culture, intercultural communication, applying to graduate school in the U.S.) and organized social opportunities. These opportunities are not available during Term 1.

Back to top ⤴

How many courses am I required to register for?

If you select the 4-week experience, you are required to register for one academic class for credit. If you choose the 6-week term, you are required to register for two classes for credit. Visiting students automatically qualify for a tuition grant that reduces the cost of the second course.

Back to top ⤴

How do I select my courses?

Review the course schedule. If a course requires a prerequisite, it will be mentioned in the official course description. Questions about specific courses may be directed to Ms. Kim Price at

Back to top ⤴

Where will I live?

Summer Session students who live on the Duke campus will be assigned to an air-conditioned residence hall on Duke's West Campus. Most room are double occupancy, though some singles are available...

Back to top ⤴

How do I apply for campus housing?

Duke’s Office of Housing, Dining and Residence Life (OHDRL) manages the summer housing process. The summer housing application will be posted on the OHDRL website around the end of March or early April. Summer Session will attempt to let enrolled students know when the housing application for summer students becomes available. Housing charges will be added to your Bursar’s bill shortly before the beginning of the summer term and after your academic charges must be paid. Unfortunately, you will likely need to make two separate payments to the university to avoid paying late fees for tuition.

Back to top ⤴

Where will I eat?

We recommend that you deposit money in a FLEX account. A FLEX account allows you to eat at multiple locations on campus, or use “merchants on points” to have food delivered by participating vendors, or purchase food items at Uncle Harry’s General Store or any of the other Duke Stores. Additional funds can be added to this account throughout the summer and any unused balance will be returned to you at the end of the summer. If you prefer to purchase a meal plan, we recommend beginning with the “small” option.

Back to top ⤴

What is the closest airport to Duke? How will I get to campus?

Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) is about 20 minutes from Duke. You may take a taxi or airport shuttle to campus. 

If you will be attending Term 2, you may request airport pick-up from Summer Session if arriving within two days of the first day of class.

No transportation is provided to or from the airport for students attending Term 1 of Summer Session.

Back to top ⤴

Do I need a student visa to study at Duke?

Yes, all international students (non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. permanent residents) are required to obtain a F-1 Student Visa in order to attend Duke Summer Session. U.S. law does not permit you to enroll in Duke Summer Session using a tourist visa (B-1/B-2) – you are required to have a F-1 Student Visa.

If you are currently attending a U.S. institution, it is likely you will be able to participate in Duke Summer Session using your current student visa. However, you will be required to complete the Duke Visa Services web form and provide copies of your official documents.

Contact the Summer Session Office at 919-684–5375 or send an e-mail to Ms. Kim Price at if you have questions about your visa status.

Please do not send any document related to the I-20 application process until instructed to do so.

Back to top ⤴

What is DukeHub and why do I need access?

DukeHub is the student self-service application providing students with an array of information and direct access to their academic, financial, and personal data. Access to DukeHub is gained by the use of your NetID and password. Using DukeHub, students can view the course schedule, check their financial account and review their grades. Duke degree students use DukeHub to register for classes; however visiting students must do that through the Summer Session office.
You will have access to DukeHub after you have received an email containing your Net ID and password information from Duke’s Office of Information Technology (OIT). This should happen within a few days after your Duke student record has been created and you have been registered for your summer course(s). The log-in information for DukeHub is the same as the log-in for your Duke email.
The Summer Session Office is unable to troubleshoot issues relating to your email or DukeHub access. If you experience issues with DukeHub or your Duke email please contact the OIT service desk at

Back to top ⤴

What is Multi-Factor Authentication?

In order to access DukeHub and your Duke email, you will be required to set-up a security feature called Multi-Factor Authentication. Go to to enroll in multi-factor authentication. You will be prompted to enter your user name/NetID and password.  If you cannot access this site, call OIT at 919-684-2200 for assistance with your NetID and password.  
After you login successfully, you will see links on the right-hand side of the page that allow you to add devices.  For example, if you choose to Add a Smart Phone or Tablet, you will then be taken to a screen that prompts you to answer these questions:

  • What type of device do you want to register?
  • What operating system does this device have?
  • 10-digit phone number (Note: International numbers should be entered as + followed by the country code and the rest of the phone number)
  • Optional device nickname

After you answer these questions, you will be directed to a page that tells you how to install Duo Mobile. Follow the directions to finish setting up your device and if you have questions, try reading additional documentation at
The Summer Session Office is unable to troubleshoot issues relating to Multi-Factor Authentication. If you experience issues with Multi-Factor Authentication please contact the OIT service desk at

Back to top ⤴