Languages for Reading Purposes

Do you need to develop reading skills in French or German? Duke University’s 8-week, non-credit online Languages for Reading Purposes courses are intended for graduate students and other researchers who need to consult texts in French and German and/or who need to satisfy reading knowledge requirements for graduate and professional programs. Learners will gain reading skills through synchronous class Zoom meetings and guided work supplemented by intensive independent study of necessary grammar. Learners also have the opportunity to apply these skills to an individualized project during the last two weeks of the course.

Course Information

Courses are available in French and German. Each course meets synchronously online three times per week for 6 weeks. Instructors are available for consultation for an additional 2 weeks to assist learners with their individual projects.  


  • May 15 – Application Deadline
  • May 17 – June 29 (Course Meetings)
  • July 3 – July 14 (Individualized Project)

Weekly online meeting schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday – 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.

Intended Audience

Languages for Reading Purposes courses are open to Duke University graduate students, graduate students at other accredited universities in the United States, and other researchers who need to consult texts in French or German. No prerequisite knowledge is required to participate in either language course option.


$650.00 per course (plus materials).

Tuition Incentive Program: In cases where Duke University Departments agree to pay 30% ($195) of the cost of a Language for Reading Purposes course for a Duke graduate student, the Graduate School will pay the remaining 70%. Departments agree to this payment apportionment via the signature of the Director of Graduate Studies on the student application.

Cancellation Policy: To receive a full refund, you must cancel your registration prior to the start of the course.


For more information email Elizabeth Thompson (  


For Visiting College Students

Duke University Summer Session is available for visiting college students — U.S. based and international — who are currently enrolled at college or university, or recently graduated. We also have an interinstitutional agreement with several North Carolina colleges that enable their students to take a Summer Session class.

Read More  aa